Firstly lets just get one thing straight. Nobody loves a good fake tan more than the girls in Mediskin, but we are coming into the time of year where people are applying tan continuously and this poses a problem in regards to laser hair removal treatments.
If you are currently undergoing laser hair removal you will know that you cannot have any tan on, real or fake, for your appointment. For laser to be effective the hair we are treating needs to be dark and the paler your skin is, the better your results. If you have tan on your skin, the machine will get confused by the amount of pigment in the area and apply too much energy. This results in 2 things:
- Burning of your skin with a possibility of a permanent mark/scar.
- Your hair not being treated as the laser energy could not differentiate between the hair pigment and the skins pigment, meaning a complete waste of time and money.
In order to provide a safe and effective treatment for you we enforce a 2 week tan policy. This is just a guideline however. Some tans may stay on the skin even longer than 2 weeks after applying especially if they are considered ‘long-lasting’. If we suspect a client may still have tan on the area we will firmly wipe the skin using an antiseptic swab. If there is any transfer at all your appointment will be rescheduled and you may lose a booking deposit or treatment off your course, and your end results will be compromised due to timing conflicts.
There are a few things you can do to avoid any disappointment:
- In the weeks leading up to your laser appointment stick to instant tan that can just be washed off.
- If you are unsure whether you still have tan on or not you can do your own swab test by wiping the skin with a white, damp cotton wool or gauze. Doing this means you can let us know in good time to avoid a cancellation fee.
- Exfoliate the skin thoroughly each day the week before your laser appointment. A good product to remove stubborn tan is the Ageless Total Facial Cleanser from Image Skincare. Great for mixing into your shower gel for a deeper cleanse.