Colonic Irrigation, or colon hydrotherapy as it is also known, involves the introduction of warm purified water to the colon in order to create a gentle cleanse.
This cleansing effect can be increased by incorporating gentle abdominal massage techniques.
Excess water and waste material is then drained away using a closed system.
Using the most advanced Harley Street method, it is now possible to enjoy the powerful health giving benefits of colonic irrigation at MEDISKIN.
The large intestine or bowel is situated in the abdomen and forms the last part of the digestive tract. An extremely important organ in its own right, it carries out a number of vital functions including the completion of the digestive process involving absorption of water soluble nutrients as well as the synthesis of certain vitamins.
However, the delicate balance of this internal ecosystem can very easily be disturbed by a number of factors including stress, pollution, poor food and drink choices, certain drugs, smoking and exposure to toxic substances.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the benefits of colonic irrigation?
Makes the digestive system more effective
As the colon is cleansed, it pushes undigested waste through your system, clearing the way for good nutrient absorption. If waste remains in the body for too long, it becomes a breeding ground for bacteria and illness. A clean colon from a colon detox allows undigested waste to pass easily through your system.
Maintains regularity and prevents constipation
Constipation — especially when it’s chronic — causes a sluggish digestive response, which in turn leaves waste in the system longer. This increases the likelihood that toxins will be released into the bloodstream. It is also a cause of other illnesses and irritations, such as hemorrhoids and varicose veins.
Releasing the toxins from your body is rejuvenating because it refocuses the energy usually used for forcing waste through your intestines to other parts of your body. People who have undergone colon detoxification say they have better blood circulation, more restful sleep and a boost in energy.
Increases the body’s absorption of vitamins and nutrients
A colon that has been cleansed allows only water, vitamins and nutrients to be absorbed into the bloodstream, rather than releasing toxins and bacteria through the colon walls. When the colon is detoxified, it clears the way for essential nutrients to filter into your body unobstructed.
Poor diet and ineffective vitamin absorption can cause you to become distracted and lose your concentration. The buildup of mucous and toxins in your colon can keep your body from getting what it needs to function, even if you eat a consistently healthy diet. Cleansing the colon with a detox diet can be the difference between feeling alert and not being able to focus. This has far-reaching ramifications for work, your relationships and your overall health.
Kick-starts weight loss
Foods lacking in fiber move through the digestive tract at one-quarter the pace of high-fiber choices. This slow-moving food produces excess mucous that literally sticks to the intestinal walls, weighing the intestinal tract down with pounds of decaying fecal matter.
Colon cleansing has the potential to aid weight loss; some people claim to have lost up to 20 pounds over the course of a month. The average human colon weighs about four pounds empty and can hold up to eight meals’ worth of food before digestion finally occurs. A colon cleansing can result in significant weight loss and kick-start your metabolism, as well as refocus your attention on better food choices and whole-body wellness.
Decreases risk of colon cancer
All the toxins that you eat, drink, breathe in and absorb through your skin end up being processed by your gastrointestinal system and liver. If they are not forced from your colon and liver as quickly as possible, they can wreak havoc on your body’s systems. By releasing stagnant body waste, you reduce the causes and the risk of polyps, cysts and cancerous growths in your colon and gastrointestinal tract.
Colon cleansing, as well as increased fiber intake and healthy food choices, improves regularity and helps keep your weight under control. Fat is estrogen-based, and if too much is present, becoming pregnant becomes more difficult. A colon that is weighed down by years of buildup can also press on the uterus and surrounding reproductive organs in women, causing strain.
Colon cleansing rids the body of many chemicals and toxins that affect the egg and sperm. Many naturopaths recommend that both partners undergo colon cleansing before attempting pregnancy.
Maintains pH balance in the bloodstream
Foods that cause colon blockages are acid-forming — particularly high-protein diets without enough fiber. This leads to general malaise in the body. The tissue of the colon eventually becomes diseased and inflamed, reducing the colon’s ability to do its job, which is to allow only water, minerals and vitamins to pass into the bloodstream. If yeasts, molds, fungus, bacteria, parasites or fecal material enter the bloodstream and connected tissue, the body’s pH will be thrown out of balance.
Improves whole-body well-being
Ridding the colon of waste and toxins by releasing layers of colon buildup can lead to feelings of lightness, strength and overall good health.
What should I do following my colonic irrigation treatment?
- Follow any specific advice on diet, supplements, exercise etc given to you by your therapist.
- Don’t over eat. Eat simply cooked or raw food and chew well. A diet rich in fruit and vegetables ( especially dark green, leafy foods) will add to the cleansing effect and regulate bowels.
- Don’t eat red meat (beef, lamb, pork and game) every day, white meat and fish and vegetarian meals are much easier to digest.
- Eat only grains e.g. brown rice, wholemeal flour, NOT refined e.g., white flour products, pasta etc.
- Avoid lots of mucus forming foods like refined grains, dairy products and eggs.
- A small amount of water is absorbed during the colonic treatment and you may notice an increased need to urinate. This is normal and will subside quickly.
- Drink plenty of fluids. If your digestion is weak don’t drink with meals or for 30 mins before, or 1 hour after meals. Avoid alcohol for at least 48 hours.
- You may experience some flatulence and bowel sounds – this is due to the bowel bacteria multiplying back up to strength for up to 48 hours after treatments. Probiotic supplements/foods may be useful and the fruit and vegetables will help.
- If griping occurs drink hot peppermint, Fennel or Chamomile infusions and avoid cold drinks, carbonated drinks and gassy foods.
- Don’t expect a bowel movement the next day depending upon your conditions, it may take several days before normal bowel movements resume.
- Avoid rigorous exercise and weigh lifting for 24 hours after treatment.
- Contact MEDISKIN if any problems arise following your treatment.
€95 Per Treatment
€250 for Course of 3 Treatments